Here’s something to help you out the next time you’re moving into a new place. The CEO of a moving company in New York came up with a bunch of tips to make the whole process a little easier. Here are the top five . . .
1. Finish packing the night before you move. A lot of people do most of it, but leave some of the packing for moving day. Then they have to rush to get everything done.
2. Color-code your boxes, especially if you’re hiring movers. Meaning, use a red marker on all the living room boxes . . . or a green marker for all the boxes you want in the bedroom. Just writing “bedroom” on the box is fine, but color-coding is even better.
3. Pack an overnight bag. Otherwise you’ll end up looking for your toothbrush for 30 minutes. Or you’ll have to dig through boxes to find an outfit the next day, and end up with clothes all over the floor.
4. Keep important documents with you. Like your passport or your kids’ birth certificates. Put them in your computer bag or your purse, so there’s less of a chance they’ll get lost. Or pack them in a box, but put it your CAR, not the moving truck.
5. Sketch a floor plan of your new place before you move. Then write down where you think your furniture should go, so everyone else can refer to it. Especially for big stuff you won’t want to move twice, like your couch or your dresser.