Here are five ways your pet can actually make you healthier.
- They get you outside. Sun and fresh air can put you in a better mood, and the extra vitamin D helps with things like depression, cancer, obesity, and heart attacks.
- They get you moving. Taking your dog for a walk or playing Frisbee increases your activity level, makes you more physically fit, and lets you blow off steam.
And actually, pet owners have been shown to have better circulation and a lower risk of experiencing major cardiac issues.
- They lessen allergies and asthma, and build immunity. Kids who grow up in homes with pets are actually LESS likely to develop common allergies. It sounds counterintuitive, but it’s true.
- You’re less lonely. Obviously if you hate being alone, pets are a great companion. And they always like hearing about your day. Yes . . . we know you talk to your cat.
- They make you smile. When your pets do random funny things, it raises your serotonin and dopamine levels, which are associated with being calm and happy. (Huffington Post)