The Giving Institute just released their annual study on how much people gave to charity last year. And it was UP almost 3%.
Americans donated just over $390 BILLION in 2016. And that’s an all-time record.
72% of it came from individual donations. The other 28% came from foundations, estates, and corporations.
$123 billion went to churches and religious groups . . . another $60 billion went toward education . . . and $47 billion went to charities that deal with “human services.” That includes things like food banks, homeless shelters, and youth groups.
Another $33 billion went to healthcare groups. Over $18 billion went to the arts, up more than 6% from 2015. And $11 billion went to animal rights or environmental groups, up about 7%.