For Immediate Release:
The Mattoon Fire Department responded to an activated smoke alarm at The Fellowship Center located at 301 Lafayette Avenue East on Saturday, April 7, 2018, at 1:52 p.m. Upon arrival, fire crews reported smoke and flame showing inside apartment 204 and requested a box alarm assignment.
Fire crews entered the apartment and worked to extinguish this fire. The fire was contained to the kitchen area. Smoke and fire damage was noted throughout the apartment with smoke occupying the 2nd and 3rd floors of the structure.
138 apartments were searched and evacuated. One person was transported to Sarah Bush Lincoln and six others were treated and released at the scene. The origin and cause of the fire was determined to be on the kitchen stove and was accidental.
The Mattoon Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Charleston Fire Department, Mattoon Police Department, Lake Land College Police Department, Dunn’s Ambulance, Ameren Gas and Electric, and Fellowship Center employees. Fire department personnel cleared the scene at 4:42 p.m.
The Mattoon Fire Department reminds all citizens to keep combustible items at least three feet away from heat generating appliances. Also make sure you maintain a working smoke alarm and practice a home escape plan.