Spring cleaning is about stuff you only need to clean once a year, like your gutters or maybe your garage. But here are six things you should be cleaning a lot more often than that . . .
- Your microwave. You might think using it kills all the bacteria in there, but it doesn’t. So ideally, you should wipe it down once a week, and deep clean it every two weeks.
- Your bathtub, also once a week. Not everyone has time for that, but here’s some motivation. A recent study looked in different places for the type of bacteria that causes staph infections. Only 6% of garbage cans had it . . . compared to 26% of tubs.
- The inside of your fridge, once a month. Salad and meat drawers can have 750 times more bacteria than what’s considered safe.
- Your computer and your desk, once a week. 70% of Americans eat lunch at their desk . . . but 10% admit they almost NEVER clean their computer.
- Your pillows, every three months. Most types can go right in the washer. They might break down a little bit, but they won’t last forever anyway. Most pillows should be replaced every three years. Or if you have really bad allergies, every six months.
- Your mattress, every two months. Most people just flip it once a year, which you should also do. But cleaning it is pretty easy. Just sprinkle some baking soda on there . . . vacuum it up . . . and spray it with Lysol to kill any bacteria. (MyDomaine.com)